[ST] Fuel Gage

The fuel gauge on my '99 had it's share of the ususal quirks, but never leaked.  The only time in the first 24K it worked accurately was on a trip to BC when all I did for 10 straight days was fill it up and run it out.  By the third day the gauge was working flawlessly.  (This was around the 12K mark).  It started acting up again when I got home. UNTIL I did the 24K service myself.  In the course of that service drug out over two months because of a stripped Valve cover bolt, I had the tank off 4 times.  Of course plugging and unpluging the gauge/fuel pump electrics, as well as sloshing around the 1/4 tank of gas left in the tank.  I don't know which of these two factors acted on the gauge, but it's been working perfectly for 2500 miles now.  Well, perfectly for a bike gauge anyway.  It reads full untill about 100-11- miles, then slowly and linearly goes down until the fuel light comes on at 195 miles.  I've ridden as far as 210 to see when the gauge hit the bottom of the red line, and it took 5.2 gal and IIRC, the tank capacity is 5.3.

David
'99ST

End of st-digest V2004 #217