RE: [ST] Are "sticky" tires worth it

At 12:12 PM 4/27/2004, you wrote:
>Well said.....

Good comments, all. No doubt some 'super-sport' tires are slow to warm up
and only function at full potential when ridden in track-like situations.
Is this my typical environment while riding? Of course not. Yes, I wear out
the middle of, or square off, my tires, too. It was not me who was talking
about having my peg feelers on the tarmac 5% of the time my bike is
running. Or posting pics of holes scraped in the lowers. But I have had a
lot of luck with, in particular, Pirelli's Dragon Evo Corsa. During the era
of this tire the Dragon GTS was their 'S-T' tire. I tried a set of them and
liked them. Steven Kholscheen swore by them and still does, AFAIK. Then I
tried a set of Dragon Evo's and liked them better. The next time I ordered
tires the dist was out of these but had Evo Corsas so I tried them and man
were they sweet - fast to heat up, decent in the wet, VERY confidence
inspiring. They just feel so planted --they stick. I went through several
sets of these. But now they are discontinued and I'm going to try a set of
Avons. And I will watch out for all the things you guys have warned me about.

Versus BT010/020's: I never like these much. Felt 'greasy' to me. Kinda
like a super-sport tire in the last third of its life;-) And not that great
in the rain either, to me anyway.
Versus any Dunlop: I have never run Dunlops, didn't think I would like them.

I'm really not one of those guys who has to have the stickiest tires. But I
do know what feels good. And what works well for me. And in the past I have
gotten better functionality -both perceived and realized - out of the tires
I mentioned above.

One question though. As far as heating up during commuting, normal (slow)
riding is concerned why is that a problem for you guys? I mean, don't you
use tire warmers on her while you're at work?

John Petrey