RE: [ST] Are "sticky" tires worth it

The short answer to the question posed is:

"Yes", if you can feel the difference and want to exploit that advantage.

"No", if you want higher mileage, and don't feel your more touring-type
tires squirming around.

There are a lot of very good compromise tires around, and I like several of
them.  I am currently running a more "sport" oriented tire choice and enjoy
the additional grip (Pirelli Diablo front and Avon AV-50sp rear).  The
difference between these tires and, say BT-020's is very noticeable, to me.
It's not about going "faster" from point A to B, but more about feeling more
planted, and as such, having a bit more "safety cushion" in any given
circumstance.  Of course the downside is lower mileage.  I had a Pirelli
Dragon EVO on the rear previously and got a whopping 2,000 miles before the
wear bars started showing.  That was exactly 30 days from new.  I like the
Avon even better than the Pirelli, but don't expect any better mileage.  But
this is also all about timing.  I chose to run the stickier tires this time
of year because of the riding I knew I'd be doing, 1000-2000 mile weekends
on the twisties, closer to home.  Hey, I don't mind spending $$ on good
tires when I get what I want  :)))
Now, OTOH, I will be spooning on a set of Avon Azaro, AV-45 / 46, in another
month or so.  The reason?  My one good long trip of the season.  For the
6-8K annual trip, I need the 6-8K tires.

Oh, and someone opined, "if you are sliding into corners and spinning up
coming out of them, why are you riding a Sprint?"   Well, my answer is, that
is EXACTLY why I am riding a Sprint-ST, it can do those things, and do it
well, AND do it 2000 miles from home, without being carried on a trailer :))
(not that I would do those type of things, mercy).

And Apex, I'm right there with ya, my brother.  Methinks many around here
maybe just don't ride the way you do  :))   Hopefully I will see ya in
Arkansas again, come October, I hear Bruce Parker has volunteered to be the
rabbit this time  ;}

Steve
   Duncan
Dallas