Re: [ST] HyperPro Progressive Fork Springs

> I weigh in at somewhere between 140 and 147 lbs depending on time of day,
> and I'm running with no preload. The sag on the HyperPro spring without
any
> preload came in at a rakish 26mm as far as I remember. To allow the spring
> to extend on braking, the preload has been backed off entirely.

So how far out is "backed off entirely"? Does the adjuster have a stop?
There's no resistance to speak of on the preload adjuster after about 12
full turns out. I did my first ride at 16 turns out (the "soft" setting from
the manual). There didn't seem to be much sag at that point, but like I
said, I had no one around to help measure. I weigh 160 lbs (street clothes).

> It's
> definitely softer than previously and might squat a little more on the
> power - but that might also be because I'm twisting the throttle earlier
> and harder as my corner speeds are definitely higher. If your road
surfaces
> are anywhere near as potholed, broken, cracked and bumpy as the majority
of
> those around here, softer is better.

Your roads sound like our roads. Don't forget the heaves and expansion
joints that (previously?) launched you off the seat onto the tank! There are
sections of road (1/4 to 1/2 mile stretches) that I regularly have to stand
up through they're so bad. We'll see how the HyperPro equipped bike handles
them tomorrow. It's 28 degrees out this morning, but beautiful sunshine.
High in the low 60s. A bit cold for a 40 mile commute this morning without
heated gloves/etc. Eh, maybe I'll dress warm and give it a go anyway...

>  However, I expect you and I
> will eventually discover that 10mph faster through the bends isn't enough.
> At that point I'll go for the emulators for the front and a new rear shock
> - probably when the current one wears out.

I'm not sure I want to go 10 MPH faster. I want more control/safety margin.
Guess I'm just a chickens**t. I rarely go over 80 MPH anywhere (even slab).
Almost all the corners around here are blind, so I enter slow enough to be
able to deal with any surprises (gravel, cars, roadkill, etc) I might run
across. I keep looking at sportier bikes more for a reduction in weight,
more nimble handling and better suspension. Don't need more power, the
Sprint engine is great. It doesn't seem anyone makes a road-focused
sportbike with a Sprint-like engine and reasonable ergos.

Garry