Re: [ST] OT: geek Q - amd numbers

Hi Bil,

(On topic bit:  Got the ST through its MoT first time yesterday morning and
have already managed to clock up a few tens of miles, although half of that
was following a colleague in his car which is always mindless.)

> Aha, I had some "misinformation" then that said there was some way to get
> an equivalent number for comparison's sake...but as you and several others
> have stated I now understand that the AMD model number is chosen to
> represent a comparitive performance index to an Intel chip eh?

The early Athlon XPs had a straightforward factor of about 1.2, but once
they introduced the 2400/2600/2800 things got muddied a bit as the chip
developed.  If anything accentuates the fact that MHz is a meaningless
indication of performance, then this is it!  You'd be far better to look up
some online performance databases and look for places they 'cross over' if
you want to compare, and take heed of other notes thereabouts to do with the
amount of cooling needed (and therefore the system noise to an extent)
Athlons are notoriously hot runners.

> > Just to keep the thread off topic:  Why?
>
> Why the post here?  Cuz I knew we had some geeks on list that had more
> geek mojo than I did that could explain the above to me!

I was more interested in why you were interested.  And yes, for some reason,
geeks and bikes seem to go together.  Must be a control thing ;-)

Totty  <8^)

End of st-digest V2004 #226