[ST] RE: Longevity

> If not I would be interested in doing so. That is if
> everyone sent me
> the year of their ST (or an ST they used to have).
> How many miles it had
> when then got it and how many it has now (or when
> they sold it or it
> died). What problems they have had and if the
> problem was fixed under
> warranty. These are problems that you believe were
> caused by Triumph
> engineering/quality control not by a bad mechanic. I
> would then compile
> the data.
>
> Rupert

99 Sprint ST purchased new in March 1999, I bought one of the early ones
35,700 miles as of last night

Battery imploded mid-2000 - new battery under warranty

Centerstand bolt fell off - bought new bolt

Leaky coolant reservoir - replaced under warranty

Excessive oil consumption - engine rebuilt, Triumph covered about 2/3 the
cost (bike out of warranty period, but dealer went to bat for me)

Gas leak - fixed under warranty

Ignition shorted to frame, bike dead (blown fuse) then later slow battery
drain - I fixed by rerouting and insulating the wires

Excessive oil consumption - engine to be rebuilt, again, warranted by
Triumph, sometime this Fall.  I learned that the cylinder liner material
changed from iron to nikasil (sp?) which allows closer tolerances.

I think that's it.  Hasn't been the most reliable bike, but the dealer and
warranty coverage have made up for it

- -Stephen

http://mail2web.com/ .