[ST] Reliability

Rupert:

Purchased a new '99 ST in July '99.  Currently has 22,000 miles on it.  I
have had the following problems.

1. Fuel sender leak - repaired under warranty
2. Radiator leak - repaired at radiator shop and has held up for about 3,000
miles
3. Cam chain tensioner failure at 17,000 miles - cam chain jumped one tooth.
I had to rebuild the whole top end.  Luckily there was no piston damage.  It
was out of warranty by 6 months, and I got no support from Triumph.
4. Chain and front sprocket at 19,000 miles.  This is not really a problem.
5. Tires, tires and more tires.  This is not really a problem either.

I have owned 12 bikes over the last 24 years of riding.  All have been a
variety of European brands (British, Italian and German), and the Sprint ST
ranks at or near the top.  However, I have reservations about using it for
extended touring because of the critical part failures (radiator and cam
chain tensioner), the brush-off from Triumph NA when the two local dealers
(now only one) suggested that I talk to them about the cam chain tensioner
problem, and the thin national dealer network.  So all of my long trips and
most of my miles for the past two years have been on a German brand, S
model.  Though, I seem to have "rediscovered" my ST this summer.  And, while
I have toyed with selling it from time to time over the last two years, I
just can not bring myself to do it!

Thanks,

Joe Pollman