Re: [ST] Mobil 1 15-50

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Heyer, Matthew A." <mheyer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: August 9, 2004 10:46 AM
Subject: RE: [ST] Mobil 1 15-50

> Alright - just called Mobil for the hell of it.  Now to add something to
> this discussion, they said that the red-cap 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic is for
> cars, and the 4T 15w-50 Mobil 1 is for motorcycles

So they confirmed that M1 red-cap is MB-compliant and  4T is MA-compliant, or did JASO not
come up?

Also, are we SURE that Triumph-branded M1 4T is actually 15W-50?

> But, they informed me that
> the 4T has a higher anti-wear additive because the motorcycle engine
> operates at higher rpm.  They said, not a big difference, but there is a
> difference.

maybe it depends on how hard you rev the engine too ...... doh! :-)

and maybe they focus on the 'anti-wear' issue because it invokes FUD, whereas I think we
seem to have a fair bit of evidence that suggests that clutch slippage is not much of an
issue, if any.

> Now, my guess would be that it is not something that any of us
> would notice if we change our oil around 4k miles.

Probably true, and more to the point.  I have a hunch that more frequent changes has a
more beneficial effect than that gained by what appears to be only slight differences in
the propotion of certain additives.

I, for one, would still like to hear from anyone that thinks they have experienced any oil
issues as a result of using the WallyWorld flavour of Mobil 1 (red-cap).

Neil