Re: [ST] ST longevity/reliability

- --- Chuck Fergerson <cferger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> '00 ST purchased 5 '03 18k  now 25k no problems
> (touch wood)

I wish I'd had the experience you guys have had.  My
2001 ST has not been the most reliable machine.  I
bought it new in March 2001 and it has just over 12k.

After ~3months and around 3k miles my clutch cable
broke...60 miles from home.  None of the shops in the
state was willing to cut me slack on it as it was a
'consumable' part, regardless of its lack of age and
lack of actual wear.  About 6 weeks after dropping $65
or so on a new cable, Triumph issued a recall and the
shop I bought the replacement cable from would not
refund the money I had to spend on a part that was
later recalled.  Triumph NA was no help here either.
They were, however, 'willing' to replace the defective
cable I paid for.

This year, more precisely in the past 10 weeks, I've
had two problems.  The fuel sender quick connect gave
out when I was riding, luckily still in town with a
friend who has a truck and ramp.  That was $75, plus
the inconvenience to my friend to take me 50 miles
away to the only reputable Triumph shop in the 'area'.

Yesterday, on my way home from a weekend camping trip
I stopped to take a break with the above friend who
was riding his new Ducati (his wrists were killing him
- - surprise, huh?).  While starting to roll in the gas
station parking lot heading for the exit, my bike
lurched forward when the clutch was about 1/2 out.
Immediately, I pulled the clutch back in and the
engine rev'ed to the rev limiter and stayed there
until I turned the key to off.  This was 60mi from
home.  I was able to start the bike once after this,
it started running and rev'ed all the way up to the
limiter and stayed there.  Rolling the throttle in
either direction made no change.  Again, my friend was
inconvenienced as I needed his truck again to haul the
bike home, and will be again when we head west 50mi
this weekend to take the bike to the shop.

I paid the bike off in May, and in June I got the
quick connect problem, now this.  So I elminate a
monthly payment so I can spend money every month or so
on service and outrageous parts prices?  No
thanks...After it's fixed, it's sold.  I can't stand
to take trips on a machine that I'm not confident will
get me home, and if it doesnt I have to drive an hour
or more to get to a decent shop, let alone getting the
bike home.

I hope none of you experience the level of frustration
I have lately with any machine, regardless if it's
bike, cage, lawn mower, triumph, honda, whatever.