Re: [ST] re reliability/ neutral switch

In a previous email, Garrett Johns stated:

> Am i the only person on the list to have problems with a faulty neutral
> switch?

Now that you mention it, I did have a problem with mine on my '00 ST
before its demise. This was back in 2000 so I might not remember all the
details.

Symptoms:
Problem would only occur while engine was warm. Neutral light would
flicker while sitting in neutral in traffic. While sitting in neutral
with sidestand down the engine would die (Light would flicker thereby
telling the engine that it was in gear thus killing the engine.)

Diagnosis:
Neutral switch was not making contact with whatever it needs to make
contact with (either that or it was making contact when it should not
have been.) The guy at the service counter told me that this was a
common occurrence on Daytonas.

Cure:
They shimmed the switch (I don't know if it was up or down.) It worked
fine until that day that a Volvo crossed my path thereby causing
catastrophic failure to just about everything else.

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2000 Sprint ST "Blue Devil" Sept. 4, 1999 - Sept. 1, 2001 R.I.P.
2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil II" Sept. 19, 2001 - ?

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying
to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly
succeed, and are right."
            -- H. L. Mencken