[ST] Riding Skills

Watching Two Wheel Tuesday last night (because I taped it), I had a revelation.  The top riders, whether it be road race or dirt, are riding almost daily.  Screwing around, playing, sliding, but honing their skills in the process.  When they are not riding, they are working out to stay in top physical condition.

We, on the other hand, are the weekend warriors.  We have sharpened, but not honed, our skills over years of street and/or dirt riding.  Yeah we have the MSF course, but that is more safety oriented.

It would be nice if there were more tracks, so we/I wouldn't have to travel so far to practice/play and hone riding skills.  The closest track to me is 1.5 hours away, and I can only go when they say.  Usually the Friday before a race weekend and it costs $125.  Once a month doesn't cut it.  It needs to be once or twice a week.

We need to slide that sucker around to get use to the feeling of rear wheel slides or pushing the front to it's limits to know the feeling of when it's ready to break loose.  Aggressive braking, to know the limits or our brakes.  Practicing throttle control thru a turn or slide.  It's the little things like that which make the all the difference in the world.

Ok, now that I've awoke from my dream, it's back to work.

Rich