Re: [ST] Riding Skills

In a previous email, Masiak, Richard stated:
> We, on the other hand, are the weekend warriors.

Excuse me? Speak for yourself. Apparently you are one of those people
that see the motorcycle as a form of recreation not as a form of
transportation. This, in itself, is one of the problems with how the
American public views motorcyclists. In the Michigan no-fault insurance
code, motorcycles are not considered motor vehicles.* Based on what I
have seen, the US needs to adopt the European view of the motorcycle: a
sensible form of transportation. But alas, the American public is loath
to give up their SUV's as their form of transportation.

There are hoards of riders out there that are "weekend warriors." There
are the riders that ride 10-20 miles, hang out at a restaurant, take
another short ride, hang out, lather, rinse, repeat. Oh, skip the rinse
part. These people won't ride if it's drizzling. You know, it messes up
the chrome. If they average more than 100 miles a month then I am
amazed. They are also referred to as "posers." My brother-in-law is one.

There are the "weekend warriors" that ride all weekend and only on the
weekend. From 200 to 2000 miles in two days. Rain or shine. Cold or hot.
I wouldn't call these people "weekend warriors." Some feel that it is
far easier to take mass transit than to ride. Some work in a job where
they feel that they can't ride to work. Other than the need to carrier
passengers, materials, or equipment, I would be surprised to that find
out that anyone has been told they would be fired for riding to work. If
you have been, consider talking to a lawyer.

Then there are the "weekend worriers." The wife of the guy that rides to
the bar on Saturday afternoon and weaves home on Sunday morning. The
mother of the squid that street races on a Saturday night and on Monday,
at work, says "Dude, check out this road rash!" The daughter of the guy
that goes out and buys some chrome beast for his first bike. The lover
of the inept fecking retard that should never have gotten a bike in the
 first place.

For me, the bike is a form of transportation. On it, I primarily commute
into New York City. Five days a week, Monday through Friday. Rain or
shine. Hot or cold. The only thing that will stop me is ice or snow on
the roads. I barely ride when I am not working. During the summer we go
on hiatus so I hardly ride. You would laugh if you saw my mileage book.
During July I only rode one day. July 11, to Home Depot, to pick up
something small. And yes, that was a Sunday.

Ride when you want, where you want but don't say that we are all
"weekend warriors."

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well have a
good time."
            -- Cake, "Sheep Go To Heaven"