Re: [ST] Riding Skills

In a previous email, Thomas Emberson stated:
> Steve Lawler wrote:
>> In the Michigan no-fault insurance
>> code, motorcycles are not considered motor vehicles.*
>
> What ramifications does this have for a car motorcycle collision?????

In my original post I had a link to a post on the Yahoo
triumphmotorcycleclub2 group. Here is the post that started it all
(dated 6/4/04):

"hey, hoping someone on this list can help me with a weird situation.
I live in Michigan, which is a no fault state, and this March I had a
cage driver do the "left turn into the motorcycle" because he didnt
see my bright red sprint. he got a ticket, which he paid, but his
insurance refused to cover my deductible. I sued the kid in small
claims court, and his insurance co had it removed to a higher court
so he could have an attorney. they sent me the answer to the lawsuit
quoting a 1986 case where since a motorcyce is not defined as a motor
vehicle, I cannot get claim my damages. has anyone here had any
experience in this?"

After several replies, the final word was that the law was not on his
side. He was forced to pay his own deductible even though the accident
was clearly not his fault. As absurd as it seems, the motorcycle is a
vehicle, it has a motor, it has to be registered with the Department of
Motor Vehicles and it has to have motor vehicle insurance coverage but
it is not considered a motor vehicle in the eyes of the no-fault
insurance code. And I thought that the insurance situation in NJ was
screwed up.

Once again, the link (unfortunately you will have to join the group in
order to read it):

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
            -- H. L. Mencken