RE: [ST] Anyone awake?

> I am supposed to leave on a two day trip this morning. As I
> went to push the bike of its center stand it died. The
> ignition witch seems to be cutting in and out. For a while if
> I turned the bars the dash lights would go on and off. I seem
> to remember something about a pinched wires problem.

There was a recall for this problem but I think it was only for early STs. I
know my 2000 model ST had this problem but was outside the VIN range for the
recall.

The actual problem was poorly routed cables which stressed the wires going
into the ignition switch when the bars were turned, eventually breaking one
or more of the wires. My bike had the same symptoms with the lights, and
also the battery wasn't charging. Check the wiring where it goes into the
back of the ignition switch.

John