RE: [ST] Anyone awake?

> There was a recall for this problem but I think it was only for early
STs.
> know my 2000 model ST had this problem but was outside the VIN range
for
> the
> recall.
>
> The actual problem was poorly routed cables which stressed the wires
going
> into the ignition switch when the bars were turned, eventually
breaking
> one
> or more of the wires. My bike had the same symptoms with the lights,
and
> also the battery wasn't charging. Check the wiring where it goes into
the
> back of the ignition switch.
>
> John

Thanks for all the replies. This was exactly the problem. I discovered
it about 30 minutes after posting. I soldered the two wires and jumped
on my bike.

What is funny is that the original owner told me that the ignition
switch was replaced early on (I have two keys) to try and fix something
and evidently they still routed the wires wrongly. Mine is an early ST
so perhaps it was for the recall! Does anyone know how the wires should
be routed?

My bike is beginning to remind me of some girlfriends I have had. It
does something to really annoy me. I swear to myself that I have had
enough and the relationship is over. Then I ride it and it is so much
fun I forget all about the annoyance.

Here are a couple of pictures from the weekend
http://www.rgalea.com/photos/mmt2004/

Rupert