Re: [ST] Remapping

> When I took it in, the engine was warmed
> up as the  service manager said it should be. But the mechanic said the
> engine had to be cold when they loaded the tune. So I left it for the
> afternoon. The cost was $46.00 for 1/2 hour labor. When you tune your
> bike with the Tuneboy did Wayne MacDonald say to have the bike cold or
> warmed up?

TuneBoy doesn't care what state the bike is in (aside from ignition on). The
engine temp matters if you are going to adjust CO levels. There is a
specified temperature range where the ECU will let you do this. 2002 and
later have the O2 sensor which overrides any attempt to manually adjust CO,
even though you can tweak the parameter (idle fuel trim). Adjusting CO with
a gas analyzer (to 3%) is evidently very important on the pre-2002 models if
you want it to pull/run smoothly at low RPMs.

> Does the Tuneboy read the Serial no. from ECU so it will only
> work on one bike? That is how I interperate Wayne's site. If you want to
> use your Tuneboy on other bikes you have to purchase additional Tune
> edit keys.

Correct. TuneBoy (cable and software) is about $200. The software key, which
is tied to your ECU serial number is another $100. The "starter kit" sells
for $310. Note that the cable requires a serial port on your PC. Many modern
laptops do NOT have a serial port anymore. They all have USB though. There
is exactly ONE model of USB-to-serial adapter that works with the
non-standard baud rate that our ECU runs at. It's from KeySpan and costs
about $40. So the total investment for me was $350.

Garry