Re: [ST] Bent forks

Daniel Brown wrote:
> When I picked up my bike after warranty service for the fuel
> connector,
> the worksheet had a comment that the forks are bent/out of
> alignment.

hrmm..  I wonder how they checked this.  Did you ask them how they did
this (like did they pull the forks and check the runout?)

> The bike seems perfectly balanced and I can not visibly see
> anything wrong.
> Is there a simple test for checking this?

there is a common racer trick.  A small piece of plate glass measuring
8x10 inches should do the trick.

If your forks are true, the glass won't rock when placed against the
fork tubes.  You might want to pull the wheel, and loosen the pinch
bolts so that you can spin the forks in the triple clamps.

If there is wobble, a decent suspension shop can often straighten them.
  Check with some omra racers, or you can call my local shop
http://www.aftershocks-suspension.com/pages/home.htm  Phil Douglass, the
proprietor is a wizard and can fix almost anything.  Tell him an AFMer
sent you.

- --chuck