[ST] Riding when you don't really want to :-( Or, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Just a short post about riding yesterday.
About two weeks ago a group of riders who work here at Raytheon in
McKinney, Texas met and started the Raytheon motorcycle club after riding
during lunch several times in the last few months.
I suggested the name RayRiders and we were off but still struggling for the
name that was just right.
At our organization meeting I nominated Ray Spinks as our first Vice
President. I've had enough to do lately and volunteered to be the event
coordinator.
Come Monday morning I get to work and a little later find that Ray had
suffered a heart attack this past weekend and passed away.
The funeral was yesterday afternoon in Corinth close to Duncan's new house
at the Baptist Church. The family asked that if any of us wanted to attend
to please wear our motorcycle T-shirts and come on our bikes.
We did. About 19 of us rode from McKinney to Corinth via Denton to avoid
traffic lights. About thirty five miles later we arrived at the church and
were joined by the local Harley dealers riders.
When we pulled up they had kept the area behind the hearse and family cars
open and pointed us to park there.
Then we were seated up front. A nice ceremony, as far as funerals go, with
a slide show of Ray's 55 year old life which included many pictures of his
smiles and motorcycles.
The funeral was dismissed with Ray's younger brother's words: "Ray's words
to me always were: "Donnie, follow me". Donnie commented that he would be
on Ray's Harley following my big brother for the last time and invited all
to the cemetery.
The procession left the church and headed to Pilot Point for burial about
twenty miles away. The family talked about the impact the sight of that
many bikes following the hearse and family cars made on them and the
community.
At the burial site we were directed to park our bikes next to the tent and
Ray's coffin.
Another nice ceremony for the family. Mike commented to the family about
the club's name and it having a special meaning now.
We then walked across the small trail and gave Ray a bikers send off by
revving the engines for ten seconds. When the kill signal was given it was
eerily quite. That is, until the family and friends broke the silence with
applause.
What an impact that had on me. I hope it had half as much on the family. It
must have for their applause was spontaneous.
Ride safe Ray.

The good: It's all above. And it was a fine ninety degree day for August in
Texas.
The Bad: Ray's gone.
The Ugly: Other drivers. Most pulled over on the shoulder along the way to
the cemetery and paused. I gave them all the peace sign as I passed and
they waved back. But........ There are those drivers who are more important
than anything, or always in a hurry, who would pass the slowed or stopped
cars and squeeze between the oncoming procession and the cars showing
respect. I did not wave at them!
Ride safe, enjoy life, and show respect when you have the opportunity.

BTW, RayRiders does have a whole new meaning now.

Que Lastima, Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon"