[ST] Make my SPORT-tourer into a sport-TOURER...?

The bike:
2002 Triumph Sprint RS w/ Raceteched front end and
Penske Rear, Genmar risers, Ventura Rack & 45 liter
pack.  40amp alternator (should be good for any heated
equipment needed two-up) 955cc torquey motor, and ~450
load capacity of the bike should be fine as well.

The problem:
The GF is not comfy enough for anything over 300 miles
in a day.  Originally thought to go to a two bike
setup.  One for track days and aggressive riding and a
Touringish bike for two-up riding w/ lockable luggage.
 I want to be able to do  500 mile day to a
destination, have my stuff stored away locked while I
leave the bike unattended.  I recently purchased a
YZF600r for the solo bike but I'm wondering if I can
convert the RS into a good two-up bike instead of
taking a loss on the RS and purchasing a used Connie,
ST1100, or Triumph Trophy.

The symptoms:
GF (10:40:51 AM): i am uncomfortable for the most part
due to the leaning over
GF (10:41:17 AM): my butt is ok for a few hours and my
knees too
GF (10:41:28 AM): wind sometimes bothers me when i
lean back

The proposed solution:
Add convertibars->
http://www.convertibars.com/checkit.cfm  For my bike
specifically, adds 4 inch vertical and 3 in pullback
at most.  Sargent Seat.  And Givi side cases plus keep
the Ventura pack on top, or sides cases and Givi top
box:
http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/thunderbike/index.htm
either way giving her some sort of backrest/back pad
to lean against every once in awhile.

The questions:
Has anyone done this with their bike?  Had the same
dilemma?  Considered the same comfort options or
different ones I'm not aware of?  What was the
outcome?  Is it possible to approach the comfort level
of a proper sport-TOURING bike with this solution at a
substantial cost savings?   The RS was my do
everything bike, and has been wonderful, but now I
have the YZF for solo riding and track days, and it's
either a proper touring bike and sell the RS with a
loss or mod the RS to fit for some $....thanks!

Bryce