Re: [ST] Tire break-in

or "Tyre break-in" for those on the other side of the pond.

Here is a trick that I use to shorten the scrub-in time:
Get a piece of 40 or 60 grit sandpaper. Fold it in half, abrasive side
out. Put the bike up on its centerstand. Start it up and put it in first
gear. Hold the sandpaper in one hand along the short edge. Be sure to
hold it firmly; you don't want it taking off and getting into the works.
With the tire rotating toward the hand holding the sandpaper and the
sandpaper riding on the tire, use the other hand to apply light pressure
to the sandpaper as it rides along the tire. Slowly move back and forth
across the surface of the tire. Do this for about a minute and you're
done. This gets rid of any mold release or the tire lube that they use
to change tires. And it only works on the rear tire.

Warning: This only works on the rear tire. Do not be an idiot and put
the bike on its centerstand, engine running, in gear and lift up the
front tire. If you do tell us about it so we can all have a good laugh.
The potential exists for you to really screw up your fingers if you are
not careful. If the tire grabs the sandpaper LET GO OF IT. You'll laugh
like a loon at the way the sandpaper shoots under the hugger or you'll
scream like a little school girl when your hand gets wedged in there.
Your choice.

Disclaimer: If you get hurt do not say "Well, Steve Lawler said to do
that." The ER nurse will think "Well, who's dumber than you?" If you are
not comfortable doing this, don't do this. These are my opinions and do
not reflect the opinions of my employer or government. Same day delivery
available. Do not attempt. Professional driver on closed course. Your
mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Your parents put it together
for you. If you received this email in error, don't read or forward it.

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"When in doubt, mumble."
            --Unknown (advice to College Bowl players)