[no subject]

I just bought a new Sprint ST and in both the owner's and work-shop
manual it states to use oils that are synthetic 10W-40 or 15W-40, meet
API-SG or SH and JASO-MA specifications. What's JASO-MA? The only thing
the dealers and the U.S. distributor says is to use Triumph Mobil 1
racing 4T, at $11 a quart! I can understand Triumph's specifying
synthetic 10W-40 or 15W-40 grades, but is this bike engineered that much
differently than my '95 (1200 Trophy).
Don Kames, Kaneville, IL

Don JASO is the Japanese-American Society of Operating Engineers, a
cooperative testing and certification agency for products commonly
involved in trade between our countries. JASO are the ones who
established the first-ever oil standards for motorcycle engines; the MA
and MB ratings (which are still rarely found marked on oil distributed
in the US).
Basically, MA is for standard four-stroke motorcycle engines, and MB is
for racing engines. The MA rating is virtually identical to the older SG
rating for automotive oils. I am surprised that you manual includes
SH-rated oils, as JASO recommends against using these oils in motorcycle
engines - at least in 10-grade or below, which you also mentioned.
However 15-grade and above is considered acceptable, even if the oil is
SH-rated.
No, your engine isn't that different from your 1995 model. None of these
oils is likely to do any harm, but just for safety's sake, use an
SG-rating, if and when you can find it. But if you can't, use an
SH-rated oil that starts at at least 15-grade or higher.
Fred Rau