RE: [ST] Oil filter removal

> Can someone please provide some tips for removing the oil
> filter?  The PO has it on so tight the oil filter cap just
> rotates
> over the filter.  I've checked the size of the cap with a new
> filter
> and it fits.
> I've tried putting rubber bands over the filter to provide some
> 'grip' but doesn't work.  (note, the oil plug needed a rubber
> mallet
> to loosen it).
> Oil has been drained but I'm stuck with the old filter.
> Thanks,
> Dan
> '02 Sprint ST
> Beaverton, OR

When I had this problem (99 ST) there was very little room to get
anything in there. I bought something very similar to this from the
local AutoZone and it worked great
http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_CAT213_pg2.htm

FYI I seem to remember that they recently changed the size of the
filter. So just because it fits the new filter that does not mean it is
the right cap.

This is another reason I like the K&N filter - it has a nut on the
bottom.
Rupert