Re: [ST] New Engine

- --- Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know why nitrous oxide is used in drag
> racing rather than pure
> oxygen? Anyone know that one?

Because the temperatures and pressures in an engine
cause the nitrogen and oxygen to seperate.  The oxygen
causes the fuel/air mixture to burn more completely,
and the presence of nitrogen causes the compression
ratio to go up (it's inert and won't react in the
burn).

Since there's more oxygen, your mixture will lean out
a little - which is why nitrous is only supposed to be
applied when the throttle is wide open (more fuel).

One of my favorite site discusses it more, but I didnt
see mention of the nitrogen increasing compression, so
maybe I have that bit wrong, or over-stated the
compression increase:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question259.htm