RE: [ST] Antifreeze Leak and an Off Topic Item

Tom, there are more parts available for the '71 Tiger than you can
imagine.  I get vintage parts faster than I do for the '94 XR100 Honda I
use to teach kids to ride.

Resources:  RotLE, see below, we discount European Spares parts to
members.

Try here for a list of others:  http://www.hermit.cc/mania/tmc/inde2.htm

You should be aware that most 1971's, the first Oil-in-Frame year, have
a higher sub-frame than '72 on, resulting in a higher seat height.
Arguably, this is the least desirable unit 650.  Some '71's had the
lower sub-frame found on all later models.

Although oil leaks are common on all vintage BritBikes that are not
carefully assembled, be alert for oil dripping from the base of the
frame spine, as this can indicate a cracked frame.  Since a little oil
goes a long way, you may have to clean the bike and then warm it up,
using talcum powder to find the source of any leaks.  If the bike is in
pieces, inspect around the swing arm attachment points on the frame for
cracks.

The Triumph unit twin with a single carb is the probably one of the best
vintage twins you can find and you won't be disappointed in performance,
reliability or availability of spares.  Tell me where you live and I'll
recommend an engine builder if you need one.

Good luck with the Tiger and Happy New Year!

Andy

Andrew F. Kay, Jr.
Riders of the Lost Empire, LC,  13355 79th Street, Fellsmere, FL 32948
www.lostempire.com   andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Eternal law has arranged nothing better than this, that it has given us
one way in to life, but many ways out."  Seneca 4 B.C./A.D. 65,
Epistulae Morales