[ST] RE: New member

<<
I've been lurking about for the past few weeks and thought I would introduce
myself and jump into the fray....You folks seem to have a well run list with
very knowledgeable people, great topics covered ( I have already learned a
bunch
), and not the a$$ biting I have seen on other lists...either that or ya'll
have
just been on good behaviour... :-)

Welcome aboard!  Believe it or not, this group is pretty well mannered.
Surprising for a bunch of Euro-philes.  J/K, j/k don't throw heavy things!
<<
I have an initial question for the collective:  If I upgrade to the 04, what
will I experience with the SSSW ?  Some feel that it has more flex, some
more
weight. Does it change the handling? Does it change the wheelbase? It will
certainly make tire changing easier, and it sure is pretty...I was very
enamored
with the 01 I rode, and dont want to alter that experience. I felt it was
the
most confidence inspiring motorcycle I had ever spent serious time with.
Obviously, either new bike has the new motor, which I can't imagine is a bad
thing. How do you folks contrast the two motors ?

I don't know if it'll really be noticeably different in flex
characteristics, but I do seem to remember it will lengthen the wheelbase a
touch.  The SSSA will be a bit heavier, but it's a sport tourer, not a 600SS
bike, so I don't think it'll be a big deal for you.

The '04 motor is the same as the '02, which is the improved version of the
'99-01 motor.  I've owned a '99 and an '02 Sprint ST now.  The difference in
power is minimal, 10 hp at best.  The newer motor does seem more ready to
spin up due to internal changes.  And it's less agricultural sounding with
the relocated alternator.  One of the improvements not mentioned often in
the magazines is that the '02 seems to shift better from new.  It shifted as
good, new, as my '99 did after 25k miles.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen