[ST] Re: shifting and clutch

In a message dated 2/3/2004 12:55:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Nick,
>
> I was unaware that you had sold off your RS. I think you also owned a
> Legend, but did you buy something else in place of the RS?
>
> I have a 2000 RS. When it was still fairly new, and before there was a
> recall on the clutch cables, I swapped mine out for a cable from an ST. It
> has the metal bend sleeve at the opposite end that the RS does, and routes
> straighter through the bodywork. Sure, I can see it through the biggest
> opening on the RH fairing side, big deal. It has significantly less pull
> effort than the stock RS cable did. I keep the original cable around the
> bottom of my Triumph tank bag, just in case.
>
> As for the transmission, mine was a little stiff when new, but now shifts
> BETTER than my Suzuki Katana 7fiddy ever did. It seemed
> well broken in by
> 5,000 miles, and is sweet now at 42,000.
>
> Ken M.
> '00 RS

Hi Ken, yeah I sold the RS and bought a Bonneville T100 from a seller in Louisiana. I used to have a 96 Adventurer before the RS. I liked a lot of things about the RS but my left hand was killing me from the gorilla clutch pull and the shifting was never smooth on the bike. Maybe I should have tried the ST cable. Anyway the Bonnie is a lot of fun and the clutch takes about 20% of the effort that the RS did. Of course the bike feels like it has about 20% of the power of the RS too. I'm sure I'll see you at one of the early diner meets this season.

Nick