Re: [ST] gps questions

- --=======6AD71395=======

Rod,
Unfortunately, I didn't receive Ben's original post, but I want to clarify
a couple of issues regarding the Garmin V.  First, all Garmin (and
Magellan) units use onboard memory to operate; however, the Garmin V (and
most other units) do not have user replaceable or add-on memory (some units
do).  Although I would like to be able to add-on memory to my Garmin V, the
lack of this feature improves the water resistant characteristics of this
unit (which is why many riders select the Garmin V).

Secondly, the Garmin V will allow you to cross your path and will allow you
to return to your starting point.  Rod, if your unit is incapable of this,
I think it is defective.  As a test, using the MapSource program (which
comes with the Garmin V), use the routing tool to select Atlanta, GA as
your starting point.  Then select Knoxville, TN, then select Birmingham,
AL, then select Nashville, TN, then select your starting point in
Atlanta.  This creates a route which begins and ends in the same place and
crosses the path in the middle.  It will show Atlanta as the beginning and
ending of the route and will show the route as approximately 892 miles
long.  If I actually wanted to drive this route, I would probably choose
these and several other cities or intersections as "waypoints" so I would
receive more "ETA" type information.

To my knowledge, all the GPS units provide routing in a linear fashion.  If
you want to take the long, scenic route, or the twisties, you have to add
waypoints that will cover the roads you want to travel.

Regarding your comment about the unit making it's own route if you restart
after shutting down at a stopping point - I have experienced this as well
and the unit has also just plain "crashed" on me several times.  Of course,
my Windows machine does that every now and then too.  If you go into the
menu selections and "set-up" your route/map again, you'll find it's all there.

I've used the Garmin V on my bike and for three coast to coast trips (cage)
and have been pretty happy with the unit.  Sometimes, I disagree with it's
automatic routing, but I like to think the Garmin and I have just had a
difference of opinion.  If you go off-route, it will try to get you to turn
around, but it will eventually re-draw your route from your current location.

Craig

At 09:54 PM 2/3/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Ben,
>I'm not sure there is a unit that will truly satisfy "ALL" your needs.  The
>Garmin 2610, Street Pilot III, and iQue 3600, maybe even the Magellan
>Roadmate 700 are your choices that come close.  I would recommend going to a
>place that has all of them and make a saleman have them perform all the
>tricks you require.  Power is the least of your worries on all of these
>units because you can use bike power.  Memory is the big issue and I know
>all the Garmin units use memory cards.  The one issue that I have with
>Garmin units is routing.  I use a Garmin GPS V and Garmin tech support and I
>have gone round and round.  Garmin's idea of a route is getting from point a
>to point b in kind of a linear fashion.  You can NOT come back to the exact
>point you started from.  You can NOT cross your path (no figure 8 routes).
>I've also had problems with the unit not liking the starting point and
>making its own route or changing the route if you shut down at a stopping
>point, which it is not supposed to do.
>
>Didn't help much, did I?   Sorry but for me, I'd like to see a GPS V with
>memory card and I would be happy.  It seems all the units come with almost
>everything you want except that one thing you would really like to have.
>
>Rod

> *   *
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.