Re: Engineering 101 - Was:[ST] New Member

David Pullen wrote:
> I also don't recall seeing any posts about people going down and being
> trapped under their bikes, so it seems like it is uncommon.  Anyone care to
> post a theorem on the physics of a low-side?

Having done one of those slow low-sides myself, the best that I can do
is give theories (in order of plausibility):

1) As the bike is going down there is a tendency to put down your foot.
The foot hits the pavement first and wants to stay put while the bike
continues on its path to/of destruction.

2) Your knee hits the pavement first and it is held back before the bike
can land on your leg.

3) The first thought that goes through your mind after you think, "I
hope I can clean the stain from my drawers" is "Oh, crap. Get away from
me you beast" and you push yourself off.

4) The leg gods are more dominant than the motorcycle gods thus forcing
the bike to sacrifice itself for your leg.

5) The pavement faeries hold up the bike long enough for you to make a
safe exit.

- --
Steve Lawler
'01 ST "Blue Devil"
Writing from where the day time temps melt the snow and the night time
temps create too much ice to ride safely to work in NYC