Re: [ST] [OT] Bellsouth Warning - Was - fake eBay message

- --=======10DB231D=======

I appreciate the "heads-up."  Several weeks ago I received a similar
message purporting to be from Bellsouth.net (my ISP).  The link took me to
a page to update my email account (wanted my password) as it was
purportedly about to expire.  Several of the buttons actually went to
Bellsouth pages.  I called Bellsouth regarding the matter (since my account
had been paid and should not expire).  They replied that it was just a
scam.  Despite my insistence, they expressed no interest in being provided
the email or link for further research/blocking.  I was very surprised and
disappointed at Bellsouth's lack of concern for their customers.  It's
clear we have to be vigilant - no one else is looking out for us.
Craig

At 10:36 PM 2/5/2004 +0800, you wrote:

>Sorry this is off topic, but I know a lot of you use eBay - this is a
>warning about a fraudulent message.
>
>I just received a very official looking email from eBay, telling me my
>account had been disabled because they couldn't verify my credit card
>details and asking me to "confirm my account".  I was pretty suspicious,
>as I don't have an eBay account.  As well as links to various parts of
>eBay, the message also included a couple of boxes to allow you to enter
>your credit card details easily.
>
>I took a good look at the HTML code in the message.  Some of the buttons
>link correctly to eBay but the ones to "confirm your account" link you to
>a different site which no doubt looks exactly like eBay, but happily takes
>your credit card details for fraudulent use.
>
>So be very suspicious if you get a message asking you to confirm an
>account, keep an eye on the address bar in your browser to be sure that
>the address is what you would expect, and of course never send your credit
>card details by email.
>
>Neil
>99 Sprint ST

>This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email
>Security System. For more information on a proactive email security
>service working around the clock, around the globe, visit
>http://www.messagelabs.com
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

- ---