RE: Engineering 101 - Was:[ST] New Member

Dave,

Sorry to hear about the down.  Glad you are OK.  A few new pieces and your
bike will be good as new.

I was rear ended at 35 mph a few years ago on the Sprint.  I was instantly
thrown from the bike to the left and the bike went down on its left side
like a sack of potatoes sliding to the right.  As I was doing my best
Superman imitation I, too, thought what a nasty sound, the plastic grinding
on the pavement.  Anyway, the damage done was similar to yours, the peg
twisted, the shifter torn off the bike, mirror and passenger peg scraped
and the fairing broken and scraped, all the left and front pins and holders
for the fairing cracked, bent or broken.

When the bike goes onto its side, the mirror mount, clip on and foot pegs
make enough of a gap between the bike and the pavement to allow the leg to
come out in most cases, plus our bikes are relatively smooth with little to
grab on to a leg.  It all happens so fast that the mind kind of skips a few
frames to catch up to what's happening so it's hard to remember exactly
what happened.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, New Mexico
www.danwallander.com