RE: Engineering 101 - Was:[ST] New Member

>Now the physics tie-in; my wife, upon hearing of the accident, asked me "How
>is it possible for your leg not to be crushed under the bike?"  My response
>- I'm not sure.

I had the dubious distinction of crashing on ice twice in one day on
my Katana 750, when I was trying to get over Bear Tooth Pass
(elevation 10,000 feet). Both times the bike slid faster than I could
even think about it. I think with a lower center of gravity, and
higher mass, on ice the bike tends to squirt out from under you
faster than you tend to fall. Neither time I was injured, but since
the first time it fell on the right, and the second time it fell on
the left (of course) the bike was pretty busted. Lost both mirrors,
and cracked several fairing pieces.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles/katana.html

Since the Katana 750 and the Sprint ST are so similar in body style,
I would expect they would both crash about the same on ice.

- --
Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707) 786-4643