[ST] low-side

In a message dated 2/5/04 10:34:06 AM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I also don't recall seeing any posts about people going down and being
trapped under their bikes, so it seems like it is uncommon.  Anyone care to
post a theorem on the physics of a low-side?

I had a slow low side a few years ago, and also was not trapped under the
bike. Perhaps the bike has less friction with the road surface than we do, and
slides farther.
I am interested in the location of your bruises. My worst one was over the
hip, and it extended all the way down to my knee, after a few days. I mention
this because many riding pants have armor over the knee and shin only,
(fortunately, mine did, although its protection wasn't perfect) and I think that since
most of us fall to the side, in a low side accident, that the hip is an
important area to protect. Dave Collins, San Diego