RE: [ST] low-side

<<
I am interested in the location of your bruises. My worst one was over the
hip, and it extended all the way down to my knee, after a few days. I
mention this because many riding pants have armor over the knee and shin
only, (fortunately, mine did, although its protection wasn't perfect) and I
think that since most of us fall to the side, in a low side accident, that
the hip is an important area to protect. Dave Collins, San Diego

Dave,

You're dead-on.  I always wear my Triumph riding pants to work, and they
have the knee/shin guards, as well as hip pads:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/site/clothing/viewitem.cfm?ClothingID=66

I always felt like a chunky dork when wearing them (I got them large enough
to wear jeans underneath, and it makes me look 50lbs heavier than I am), but
figured it was worth the protection.  Turns out I was right.  I have a
little soreness on the point of my right hip, and have some general aches in
the muscles of my shoulders/abs/neck from being bounced, but no bruises,
scrapes, cuts or any real visible signs of injury.

The pants took the brunt of the impact, and I'm convinced that's why I was
able to do my usual 3.5 mile run at lunch yesterday and today.  Without the
hip protection, I might have had trouble walking, much less running.

The only damage I have seen to my gear is a little tear in the leather palm
of my right glove, a small tear in the stitching of the right shoulder of my
jacket, some scuff marks on the outside of my right boot, and a small tear
in the stitching of the right knee of the pants.  There are scuff marks and
dirt elsewhere, but hardly enough to be noticed.  The right hip area doesn't
even look like it hit the ground.

If I had any doubts about the necessity of this gear, they are long gone.
And I can't speak highly enough of Triumph and Teknic gear!

  - Dave