[no subject]

Back in May, after a glorious three-day weekend of barnstorming the northern
Arkansas Ozarks, myself and two other bikes (John Morin from Austin, BRG-ST,
and Brian & Stephanie, Dallas, Black-ST ) were headed back to Dallas.  We
had left Bull Shoals early and planned on an easy ride back to big "D" via
412 to 540 to 40 to 69 and on in.  Yeah, we had all our fun on the previous
2-1/2 days and just wanted to make decent time.  The strafing behind us,
time to get home, 500 miles to go.

About 10 miles east of Huntsville I am leading, coming around a left hand
sweeper, takin it easy, 65-70, I am approaching a car ahead, with a
right-hander about 150 yds beyond.  I slow and notice a small grey bag float
over the roof of the car.  No sooner do I notice this than it seems to have
radar and *smack*, attaches itself directly to my faceshield!!  For a
nano-instant I think this is cute.  Because what I can see most clearly (in
fact the only thing) is a big yellow "smiley" face staring at me eye-to-eye
2 inches away.  I casually reach up with my left hand to remove the
hitch-hiker, but, I can get NO grip on the slick little bastard.  It's
stuck, firm.  My amusement quickly deteriorates, to concern....  I am
traveling at 88 feet per second, and I am completely disoriented.  I cannot
tell if I am still in my lane or going into approaching traffic, or if I am
about to rear-end the car in front, or, OR......there is a 4 foot ditch on
my right AND a vertical rock wall!  How close is that upcoming corner
now????  Holy Sheite!  I *think*  maybe three or four seconds have passed at
this point, that's the length of an entire football field!!  It is now
official panic time.  I cannot dislodge the bag, "smiley" is unconcerned
(Thank-you Wal-Mart).  Now all I can think is *STOP*, STOP NOW!!!!!

OK, I am actually already on the brakes, instinctively, but I am also *too
hard* on the rear and I realize the back-end is swapping to the left (I am
still blind here, and my equilibrium is shot) so I do a little body lean and
slowly try and ease off the rear to prevent a hi-side.  Too much lean, not
enough "ease".  I now have a full low-side going with the rear kicked out to
right (note, left-side low-side, much better than right-side hi-side).

Just then the angle/the wind, whatever, decides to dislodge my Wal-Mart
passenger and I have sight!  But what I am seeing is a low side right down
the double yellow.  OK, time to bail, I kick off backwards landing on my
back at 60mph and watch the bike immediately hi-side back over to the right
(after a small air-borne period).  It was really a slo-mo affair at this
point, the bike sliding ahead of me, and then momentum grabs me a flips me
over onto my elbows and knees.  I slid this way for a while and scrubbing
off speed, eventually do about four barrel rolls, coming to a stop on the
right shoulder directly behind the bike (which is hanging halfway off into
the ditch, still running).  Just then I look up in time to see the front
bumper of a screeching car come to a smoking stop three feet behind me.

I immediately jump up (another reflex) and to my amazement appear unharmed!
But I know how these things are.  My riding buds are at my side by now,
asking me if I'm alright and simultaneously getting my bike out of the ditch
and upright.  I peel off the leathers and they and I survey the damage.
Leathers trashed, body fine!  Amazing.  I have slid about 50yds down an
asphalt highway and all I have is a little bruise on my right forearm.  All
my appendages work, full range of motion, clear head (relatively) and most
of all I am ALIVE!!!!

The guy in the car behind me was more shook up than I.  He said he did not
know how he kept from hitting me, and he said he saw the whole "bag" thing
happen like slo-motion (yeah, me too).  If I had managed to emergency brake
and kept the bike up, he prolly would have creamed me.  He barely stopped in
time as it was.

The guy that was in "front" of me when this happened showed back up in about
5 minutes, looking pale as a ghost.  He said, "Man, I saw the whole thing in
my rear view mirror, before I got to the turn.  I thought you were dead,
man.  I had to find a turn around and come back.  I can't believe you are up
walking around!"

All I can say is; "I *know* I have Guardian Angels, they just appear to be a
bit mischievous.

I kept the Wal-Mart, "smiley" bag

Oh yeah, and the p.s. here is, if this ever happens to you, LIFT YOUR DAMN
FACESHIELD.  It's best to learn from others mistakes.   :)

STeve Duncan
'00 ST-RED
'00 ST-Black (RIP)
Dallas, Tejas