re: Re: [ST] Rear Ended, not...

it was my first trip up I-35 to Oklahoma City from the boonies of
orman  - all of about 15 miles - in my shiny new [to me] '73 Ford Double
Gonzo 400ci station wagon. woohoo - TAPE PLAYER stereo, power brakes, A/C,
luxuries i'd never known, everything but the phony crating on the sides.

i missed the flagman, who was enduring the late Okie summer heat by
standing in the shade of the ovehead sign...and using his flag as a cane
to lean on while he bs'ed with his buddy. over the crest of the hill was
the reason for the flagman: a half mile long clot of stationary cars.

i "threw out the hooks". and the anchor. i'da thrown out my mother-in-law
if she'd been in the car. nothing, NOTHING, slowed that behemoth.

i was in the left lane. a quick twitch of the ever-so-responsive Gonzo
steering wheel put me in the median.

the coefficient of friction of brown grass is close to that of antifreeze.
the first car i slud past in a cloud of red dirt and brown chaff was a
Porsche 914...i will never forget the big round eyes of the driver when he
realized what a wad he'd have been if i'd been switching tapes when i
crested the hill.

ahh, close calls.

if he had cut to his left, i'd have nailed him.

bp