From: "Matt Lyon" <lyonm@xxxxxxx>
To: <st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 5:27 PM
Subject: [ST] wheelie/oil starvation

> My stolen/recovered RS was clearly used for at least a bit of wheely-ing.
The back of the muffler and the bottom edge of the mud guard below the
license plate are both scraped, and the entire back end of the rear panel,
from the seat rearward, is snapped off.  My dealer says this may have
starved the motor for oil, and even if the motor can be started, and appears
to run OK, it may have severe bearing damage, & start smoking and wear out
pre-maturely.  Assuming the Insurance  company "Totals" the bike, I'm
interested in buying it back & making a rat bike/streetfighter out of it -
an authentic "Speed triple" so to speak. - but only if the engine's going to
last at least several thousand miles.
> SO, does anyone out there have extensive wheelie time on their bikes?  How
can I tell if the engine is toast or not?