Re: [ST] Questions from a newbie.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:01:45PM -0800, David Sergeant wrote:
> First, soft luggage.  I'd like to know opinions about soft luggage.  I know
> most of the RS's CAME with throw over panniers.

I don't think this is true.

> Mine, being used, did not.  I'd like to know the merits, caveats, etc
> of the Triumph OEM bags versus cheaper generic ones.  It looks like
> the OEM bags come with mount points you leave on when not in use.
> Would I have difficulty in establishing secure (as in not flying off)
> installations with other sport bags.  Basically, is it worth the $250
> OEM as opposed to the $150 Givis or other ones...

I didn't know Givi made soft luggage?  At least I haven't seen any
available here in the USA.

That said, the Triumph soft throwover panniers are excellent quality,
very roomy, and the side panel protectors are excellent and look good
even with the bags off.

But tourmasters are not bad--and much cheaper--though I don't know about
their fitment on an RS.  Nelson-Rigg also makes some good looking stuff.
Marsee, Eclipse, and RKA might also make panniers.  If you're near a
Cycle Gear, check out their "house brand" of luggage, too.

I guess it depends how much you'll use them.  If it's just once a year,
the savings might be worth it.  But if you plan to do many trips, the
Triumph bags are well worth it.

> Second... I know it is just a matter of time until I get off my ride, turn
> on the parking light and go in to work.  Will that thing shut off after a
> certain amount of time or can I expect a dead battery when I try to go
> home?  If it just beeped a couple times or didn't let you pull the key
> out.... sheesh.

Never had it happen to me, but it is possible.  I wonder if you could
just pull the bulb out of the 3rd eye light?

Laters,
Brian
- --
Ft. Worth, TX