[ST] BMW RS vs ST

Many of our guests have BMW1100RSs at home and ride our Sprint ST & RSs
during their holiday with us. Most are completely impressed with the
smoothness and power of the 955 motor. Most like the handling and love the
brakes of the Triumphs. Some mention the softer front end, particularly if
they only own a BMW and no other brands, but I think that is the fact that
the Telelever front end does not dive while on the brakes. Others say they
would never own a bike with a chain.

I have not ridden the new Replica, but have spent several afternoons on a
2001 RS on my favorite roads and cannot believe how buzzy it is for a
"gentleman's motorcycle". I was not surprised that it is rather gutless
compared to the 955 and I thought the RS transmission made the new 955 trany
feel like butter. The fit and finish are nice on the BMW and there are
merits to ABS, but I would not buy that bike just for that reason.

I believe both bikes have their merits, but I honestly like the Triumph
better for everything from Sunday sprints to weeklong roadtrips. I am not
affraid of a can of chain lube, but am affraid of the BMW approved service
department.  If you factor in price, there is no comparison. So why are
there so many RSs out there? Some of guys like the emblem on the BMW and in
some areas there is a good BMW dealer where there is no Triumph dealer.

I suspect that the new GS1200 motor will be in the RS by next year, but I
also suspect we'll be seeing an updated Sprint ST next year also. If you're
talking used bikes because you want value, go for the ST.

All the Best,

Mike Ciebien
Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays
www.rockymtnmoto.com