Re: [ST] Fork Mods

> But I have a few others that I wanted to get opinions
> on.   When I rode it (in the 35 degree weather we have
> in Ohio in February), I noticed two more issues.  One,
> my right fork seal is now leaking.  I know that there
> are improvements available for the suspension in the
> Sprints -- should I do that now that I have to replace
> the fork seal(s)?  Whose fork stuff is best?  Do I let
> the dealership do that?

Race Tech Gold Emulators appear to have a loyal following. I'm seriously considering having them installed as part of my 12K mile service this spring. Cost is about $225 for the parts (springs and emulators). Note that there is some brazing and re-drilling of the damper rods (as I understand it) with the Race Tech install.

I've also read about people just swapping out fork springs only (about $100) and putting good quality 15W oil in. That appeals to the cheap SOB in me, but doesn't address compression damping.

Another option I've recently discovered is Hyperpro. They sell a "combi" kit of fork springs, oil and shock spring for Sprints. Rod Brown (on this list I think) has purchased them, but hasn't had a chance to try them out yet. At $250 (as I recall), that sounds like a good deal since you're also addressing the rear shock to some extent for the same money as the Race Tech for the front alone.

I'm waiting for Rod's report before spending money, but whatever route I take, I'm letting the dealer do it since they'll have the forks off to change the oil at the 12K service anyway.

Garry