Re: [ST] Cornering Philosophy

> I've been reading and re-reading several books on riding technique for
sportbikes (Twist of the Wrist 2, Total Control, Sport Riding Techniques)
this winter. Seems all the authors are primarily concerned with maximizing
speed, and minimizing lean angle by starting wide and ending wide
(straightening out the corner) and by hanging off / body position. There is
certainly a track bias to much of the content.

Gary,
I see you have the same library that I do.  IMO, the Keith Code books are
track books.  I'm sure there are lots of guys who will disagree but when you
show me posted brake points on those WV twisties, I'll change my mind.  The
Sport Riding Techniques was OK but nothing that will get me around the turn
faster than I already go, or better yet faster than I want to go.  I still
have to read Total Control which just may be the best of the bunch because
it looks like it has better pictures :-)

Funny, on an hour and a half trip today I was trying to mathematically
figure out risk probabilities.   If I take a turn and the probability of a
crash is 1 in 100, does that mean that if I take that turn 100 times I will
most certainly crash.   Actually, that isn't how the numbers work.  I did
manage to come to the conclusion (mathematicians can go to hell because this
is what I believe whether or not I can prove it) that if you hang it all out
going around blind turns 100 times, your probability of becoming a
decoration on the back of a stopped vehicle is much higher than if you go
outside in with a decent margin of error.

I have a lot of fun going fast, but choose where and when to speed.  I see
no point in bragging about the number of high and low sides I have had, nor
do I find much pleasure in testing the abrasion resistance of my ass.

Hope that covers your question.
Have fun and ride safe, I don't think they are mutually exclusive.
Rod