Re: [ST] Time for my first rear tyre

Hi again Stephen,

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:46:00 +0000, Stephen McSpadden
<stephen.mcspadden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 07:32 25/02/04, Andrew Tait wrote:
>
>> Yup, that's me.  In fact it was your old Sprint that made me look at
>> Triumph in the first place.
>
> OK that made me laugh. That was a great bike - just too top heavy for my
> build. Fine once rolling, but a real sod if I parked it the wrong way.
> Pushing/Paddling it backwards up any sort of incline was murder.

:)  The ST's weight seems to be centred somewhere about 3 inches off the
ground.  Amazingly easy to push around on the flat, although the only time
I have run out of petrol in 14 years was with the ST on the roundabout at
the Kingsgate Retail Park.  Now think of the hill up to Sainsbury's petrol
station.  OUCH!

> It was seeing your very, very, very shiny ST that started me looking at
> the newer Triumphs - I was going to buy a Fazer or a Hornet. Going back
> to the Triumph dealer I was just about to buy one of the re-imported RS
> models that Triumph UK brought back from the US, but then the ex-demo ST
> turned up with the newer engine and I went for it. One day I might even
> own it. :D

*huge grin*  I should get commission from Triumph then?  I was SO
impressed when I saw your BRG ST for the first time.  I know the changes
are only subtle in terms of look, but every time I walk/ride past it, I
think:

Extra 10bhp.

And I probably used to think:

Git.

>> I should be Sprinting next week.  Got my rear wheel off at the weekend
>> to get a new valve stem fitted as it had a slow leak at the base.
>
> That happened to my "old" Sprint too. Right after a tyre change.

Mine was leaking very slowly since my last tyre change too!  Probably no
more than 5-10psi over a week, but enough to irritate me.

> It was a very slow leak and only showed up on the ride home when the
> rear went sliding out a tad when getting onto the M74. (I live in Law
> near Carluke) I got home to find 14psi in the rear tyre. Oops.

Strange feeling, isn't it?  Happened to my front valve core.  It was a bit
crusty and dropped the front to about 20psi coming back from Glasgow one
day.  Like driving on ice.

> I hope I don't "bump" into you, but would be only to glad to meet up. If
> you fancy a run at the weekend I know one or two other (fairly sensible
> - honest) chaps who all enjoy a run to the usual places and some of the
> not so usual ones.

Maybe.  I'm a VERY antisocial biker, and love nothing better than zooming
round the long way to Dunoon myself on a hot Saturday, but not with other
bikers.  I find it almost impossible to relax in groups of other riders,
so end up hating the whole thing.  I'm a bit like that with lots of things
in life.  My fondness for doing everything at my own pace and in my own
time, and usually in groups of bikers I either feel pressured to keep up,
or annoyed with myself if I don't.  Odd, eh?

Having said that I did an AMAZING ride out with BMW this summer, and got
over an hour on the BMW Scarver (F650CS) in a group of about 6 led by a
Police instructor up in Bishopbriggs.  Perfect day, and I never, ever,
ever thought a 650 single could be such a riot to ride.  Rubber-band
driven rear wheel, 50bhp, but only about 160kg.  Pure magic, but we never
touched more than 5mph over the speed limit, and that was in 60 limits.
The rest of the time the needle was bang on the speed limit.

Anyway, I hope we meet at some point for a chat, and maybe, just maybe,
I'll convince myself that a wee run won't be the worst thing to happen to
me!

Cheers,

Andrew