RE: [ST] bmw R1100S

I test rode one at a demo day at my dealer. I have to say that I didn't much like the ride. Compared to the Spring, it felt like it was a very heavy bike. I kept hammering my shins on the headers at stops. And it seemed to lose power at higher revs. I think this may be a characteristic of most big-bore twins, but I really didn't like it. And the low down torque didn't seem to be any greater than the Sprint. For me the kicker is the mpg that they get. The rags list them at 30 mpg. That is just ridiculous to me, to ride a bike and get that little mileage.

I know a lot of riders who swear up and down about how much they love 'em, but they aren't my cup of tea.

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA