[ST] Customer Input

This is for all liSTers and lurkers,

Every time I cross paths with a Triumph representative the conversation
always seems to turn to the new models and how they are developed.  They
always mention some form of testing or getting customer input on the designs
in the early phases to see "what works."  Modern marketing would support
this practice.

If this is truly the case, how the hell do I (or anyone else interested in
improving the ST and other Triumph lines) get to be one of those customers
who are asked to participate?  If customer input is so damn important to
them, you would think they would solicit it from this list, however, I have
never seen that happen.  Additionally, if customer input really is important
in the design or re-design of a bike, don't count on the ST being changed
anytime soon since nobody from Triumph has come asking for input.

And for those of you thinking, "But Manuel, they lurk on the list and they
have to be reading our comments and criticisms," think again.  Listening to
people bitch about crappy fuel connections and under-sprung front ends is
not the same as actual participation in the design process.  If that was
true, all bikes after 2000 would have gotten metal fuel fittings, instead of
the same crappy plastic ones.  Simple economics dictates that it is cheaper
to produce an ST that uses the same forks as the Daytona and Speed Triple
than to out-source or build a different set of forks for the ST and RS,
(well, now just the ST).

I have heard Triumph representatives say things like, "the sport-touring
rider is looking for good fuel economy," or "the typical sport-touring rider
values the comfort aspect of the bike over raw power."  Both of these
statements are typically true, but what do they really mean?  Do I want a
500cc motor over a 1000cc because the fuel economy is better?  Do I want an
ST that looks like a cruiser to enhance comfort?  Both of the previous
comments could be interpreted in this way.  Without interacting with the
actual riders who make up the target market, Triumph is still just guessing
what we want.  I guess when Yamaha built the FJR, they found a "Previously
undiscovered breed of sport-touring motorcyclists," unbeknownst to Triumph,
who wanted fuel economy, power, good suspension, and comfort.

This is more than just a rant.  I think many on this list would actually
participate in the redesign of the ST if asked.  Now, how do we get Triumph
to let us?

Manuel
2001 BRG ST
Plano, Texas