RE: [ST] Customer Input

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, David W. Funk wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:18:51 -0500 (EST), Bil Swartz wrote:
>
>> Exactly true, diff'rent strokes and all. But seriously, if the
>> bike is to be a serious sport-tourer, we've got to do away
>> with chain maintenance every 300-500 miles. That's the one big
>> complaint I have with the ST (sans suspenders of course!) so
>> that ain't bad.
>
> I don't think that getting rid of the chain is required. But I
> would be very interested in a bike of the ST's size & weight
> that had a shaft drive. Also ABS would be very nice.

Interesting, with todays O-ring chains, I have no problem
leaving the chain duty to after I check into the hotel, and the
bike has a centre stand, so no problem. At least IMNSHO :-)

It all depends on what you want, personally I like the FJR, but
I did not mind the chain drive on the ST. The FJR still has some
FI issues, but from what I can tell the chain drive on the ST is
smoother than the shaft drive on the FJR.

Manuel filled me in on this thread last night. It would be nice
to know that Triumph is listening. Although I would suggest they
are to a certain extent, personally it was less than 6 months
from when I puchased the FJR that they reduced the price and
included luggage with the ST.

I would probably be on ST number 2 if they where 6 months
earlier, oh well.

But in the end, we are talking about "SPORT" - "TOURING"
motorcycles, which really includes a vast array of bikes.
Personally, I have never driven any vehicle that has had too
much power or too good of a suspension. But I will gladly try to
drive anything if there are any challengers.

Of course with that said, my Dad complains that his '03 CL Type
S has too much power, too that I shake my head and my Wife
states that you can tell I was adopted :-)

I don't think Triumph is going to produce a bike that will
please everybody, but, it would be nice to see them come out
with a new one. Maybe now that all of the bonnie deviants are
out, the T3 is close to being for sale, and the Daytona 6 and
955 plateforms seem to be steady for now they will have time for
the Sprint and Trophy.

Personally, if I where Bloor, I would try to merge the 955
plateforms a bit closer. I know they want to keep the Daytona
special, but seriously, there is no way it can bench race
against the Yamkusikihonda litre bikes, so why try. Let the
Triumph bikes offer Good performance and style. No more BS about
liability worries keeping the power down on the S3. Produce 2
955i's, on with a higher sprung valve train and cam shapped for
a bit more high end power, keep it around 150-160HP, and a
second one for the Sprint ST and S3, shoot for 140'ish HP. But
other than that keep the guts the same, if you want to change
the final drive, do it at the sprockets.

As far as the suspension - same, just reduce the spring rates
for the Sprint and change the stock settings for rebound and
compression dampinging.

You will still probably have to keep two different frames, but
then again the Sprint's frame will be made to bolt on the 3
piece luggage :-)

Oh, and for the Tiger, give it the high torque 955 :-)

Eck, sorry for the rant, must get back to work.

cheers,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)