RE: [ST] Customer Input

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Heyer, Matthew A. wrote:

> I think here lies a problem. I can't stand the people that want
> to make the ST more like an FJR, or that sort. Shaft Drive? No.
> I couldn't have changed the sprocket on the rear then... Bar
> Risers? No. I want a comfortable sport bike, not a tourer. I
> bought this bike because I wanted a sport bike that I could
> ride hard on weekends with full-blown sport bikes, yet travel a
> distance with a little more comfort, and some ability to carry
> some gear. I wouldn't want the ST to be any less sport than it
> is right now. I already grind my feelers and kickstand nub, and
> wouldn't want to lose any of that performance. Hell, I've put
> an underseat exhaust, high-fly air filter, and changed the rear
> sprocket to get more performance from the bike, yet left the
> ergos alone. But everyone has a different opinion, and everyone
> is welcome to that opinion. I guess it's one of those that it's
> hard to make everyone happy...

Bingo.

> -----Original Message----- From: Bil Swartz
> [mailto:bil@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 11:17
> AM To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ST] Customer Input
>

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Manuel Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> what we want. I guess when Yamaha built the FJR, they found a
>> "Previously undiscovered breed of sport-touring
>> motorcyclists," unbeknownst to
> Triumph,
>> who wanted fuel economy, power, good suspension, and comfort.
>
> Funny that. I recall when the FJR debuted in EU asking the
> Yamaha reps at the cycle shows when it was coming stateside and
> getting the "there's no sport-touring market in the US"
> response. I think we got that line for the first 2 years of
> FJR's existense was it?

But at the same time, I keep on reading that cars made on this
side of the pond are made different from those elsewhere in the
world due to the amount of driving people over hear do.
Something about being such a big country with many roads.

Who would have figured that experts could have said both :-)

> I had my heart set on FJR when it first came out but by the
> time it came here I was happily putterin' around on my ST. I've
> often thought that FJR would be my next bike unless Triumph
> gave the ST a shaft drive and have often wondered if Triumph
> was listening to us at all. Given your examples, I'd have to
> guess not.

Seriously Bill, shaft drive is not all that, at least that is my
oppinion so far, ask me again in the fall when I have had a
couple of more trips on the bike.

As far as Triumph listening, they did decrease the price of the
bikes.

As far as the cruiser thing, remember, over 50% of the new bikes
sold in NA are cruisers over 1 litre in displacement. It would
be nice to see Triumph remain a profitable concern. And this is
said by someone who does not own a Triumph :-)

cheers,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)