[ST] The misery of chain lubrication

In a message dated 1/13/04 10:13:55 PM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Exactly true, diff'rent strokes and all.  But seriously, if the bike is to
be a serious sport-tourer, we've got to do away with chain maintenance
every 300-500 miles.  That's the one big complaint I have with the ST
(sans suspenders of course!) so that ain't bad.

What's so hard about putting the bike up on its convenient center stand, in
the motel parking lot or campsite, strapping on a head-mounted flashlight,  and
squirting  a little chain lube, from the travel-size spray can in the
pannier? I have been back and forth to Canada 3 times, and to Daytona once, from San
Diego doing that. And, if that's too much for you, get a Scott Oiler. A chain
is the most efficient way to get power to the rear wheel. When Miguel starts
using a shaft, maybe I will. Furthermore, a shaft is not without its
problems-expensive spline replacements etc.-ask any long-time BMW owner. Dave Collins