Re: [ST] Fuel Connector Help

David, et al.

There are already NHTSA reports on the ST and RS, at least five and Lisa
wasn't one of them because it happend on a Tiger.  You can blow this off if
you want, you can come up with all the rationalizations for why it happens
or even say it doesn't happen, BUT:  Jack Lilley sells a kit, TeamTriumph
has been selling a kit for a long while, Great Bay sells a kit, this list
has lots of guys who have already replaced theirs, and for as long as I've
been on this list there seems to be someone looking for the right part
numbers about every couple of weeks.   Then there are the RATNet from all
over the world listing the same problem on just about every 955i motored
bike. Somebody must think there is a problem besides me. Now you can just
say that is just the worry whorts, or just freak events.  I say that for
everyone who has a problem that you see on the web there are probably five
to ten that never hit the web, and that is probably a low estimate.

As for flash points, yes I'm totally aware of what the flash point is and
that if you have a gallon of gas in a bucket, theoretically you can put out
a small fire - anyone out there willing to test that one????   Now for BMW,
Ducati and any others using plastic fittings: plastic is a generic term,
there are a zillion fittings out there made from different plastics.   Go to
the Colder Products or Eldon James sites and take a look at what they have.
Some work with gas and some don't.  Some will stand up to vibration, and
some won't.  The o-rings can be rubber, buna-n, viton just to name a few.
Just because Triumph's look like, or even fits like a Ducati or BMW doesn't
mean they have the same chemical or physical properties.  Then you can throw
in how they are installed and how much physical use they have to stand up
to.

So I just finished replacing mine with Colder fittings with viton o-rings.
Maybe it was a waste of time and money, then again maybe it wasn't.  Just an
FYI, while doing the switch I found that little plastic elbow where the fuel
comes out of the pump on my 8000 mile ST was cracked.

It's your bike, you can believe what you want.
Rod