[ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #361

Janice,

As far as ribs go, the general rule of thumb is that bruised ribs hurt like
hell for about 3 weeks and broken ribs hurt like hell for about 6 weeks
(but, Jeff'll be glad to know, in diminishing amounts as time progresses).
As a physician (Pediatric Pulmonology and Critical Care) I'd strongly
recommend that you also direct your concerns about excessive sleeping to
his treating physicians as certain pain-killing medications  can have
significant dangerous side-effects.  Unfortunately, we use the muscles
attached to the ribs for breathing, so the ribs do not stay perfectly
aligned like an arm bone in a cast, for example, which makes healing take a
little longer.  It is very natural for him to want to lay perfectly still
and breathe as quietly as possible but this must be balanced by the risk of
lung (and other) complications that occur in those who are excessively
sedentary.  When I broke a rib, I found it best to take it very easy in the
morning and gently increase activity.  Then, taking a medication 30 minutes
before walking made it tolerable.

Good luck,

Paul.