RE: [ST] Introduction and newbie questions

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Paul English wrote:

> I've got another question too - when I was riding the bike back to my
> uncle's place, on the freeway at about 70mph I noticed that the front end
> seemed a bit squirrely - like one would expect from a scooter with a
> smaller diameter tyre, although not that dramatic. I am coming
> from an old VFR, and I knew to expect a faster, lighter turn-in and a
> lighter feeling to the bike overall and that was very pleasant. But the
> straight-line freeway driving instability was a little unnerving even
> though it was not very much. Could it be worn head bearings? Or the wheels
> out of alignment?

Is it particularly noticable in wind or behind trucks in their "wash"?  I
suffered similar when I had my suspension settings all out of whack in a
quest to find a better setting.  Try setting the suspension settings back
to one of the stock (ie soft, firm, etc) as listed in the owners manual
and see if that doesn't fix it.

You might also look at the tires to see if there is any abnormal wear
indicated, cupping on the front etc.  Last idea I'd have is to check the
torque on the steering stem nuts/head bearings.

- --
...still looking for a TW200...

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '98 VFR800FI -hers    ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  '89 Hawk GT  -hers   Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  66    U    AMA,CMHmoto,HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail