RE: [ST] Introduction and newbie questions

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Bil Swartz wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Paul English wrote:
>
> > I've got another question too - when I was riding the bike back to my
> > uncle's place, on the freeway at about 70mph I noticed that the front end
> > seemed a bit squirrely - like one would expect from a scooter with a
> > smaller diameter tyre, although not that dramatic. I am coming
> > from an old VFR, and I knew to expect a faster, lighter turn-in and a
> > lighter feeling to the bike overall and that was very pleasant. But the
> > straight-line freeway driving instability was a little unnerving even
> > though it was not very much. Could it be worn head bearings? Or the wheels
> > out of alignment?
>
> Is it particularly noticable in wind or behind trucks in their "wash"?  I
> suffered similar when I had my suspension settings all out of whack in a
> quest to find a better setting.  Try setting the suspension settings back
> to one of the stock (ie soft, firm, etc) as listed in the owners manual
> and see if that doesn't fix it.

I didn't notice, but thinking back on it there was a fair bit of gusty
wind as a storm was coming on that day. The suspension settings would have
been an obvious thing to check, which I didn't so that is where I'll
start.

> You might also look at the tires to see if there is any abnormal wear
> indicated, cupping on the front etc.  Last idea I'd have is to check the
> torque on the steering stem nuts/head bearings.

Tires were fine and I looked at those pretty closely. I will check the
steering stem too.

Paul